Wednesday, January 17, 2007

MLK Weekend

My mom and sister Laurel came to visit this weekend, and I had a lot of fun. They came in on Sunday morning and didn't leave until last night, and it was nice to forget about school for a few days. However, I just realized how completely screwed I am for the rest of the week, so everything comes with a price. Oh well. Here's what we did:

Sunday:
-Dim sum at Jade Palace Sunday. Yum. Not as good as back home (or HK) but very acceptable for Kentucky.
-Drove down to Fort Knox for a trip to the PX and a drive past our old house -- the first house I ever lived in, almost 26 years ago. Fort Knox is closer than I thought it was (only 45 minutes); too bad I don't have base privileges anymore or I'd be able to go to the commissary myself.
-Dinner at Havana Rumba, a first for Eric and me. It was sooooo good! We'll definitely be going back.
Monday (no school!):
-A visit to Campbell's Gourmet Cottage, a local kitchen supply store. It was fun to look around at all the kitchen gadgets that are out there, in a layout less cluttered and overwhelming than Bed Bath and Beyond.
-Lunch at Saffron Buffet, the lunch version of the popular Persian restaurant we still haven't tried. Good as always.
-Drove around town looking at all the houses for sale and setting up viewing appointments for
Tuesday.
-Dinner at Vietnam Kitchen, which wasn't very good. I wasn't impressed with any of their sauces (I can make them better myself, and mine aren't very good at all), and I don't think I'll be going back.
-Watched Pride and Prejudice at home, my mom's favorite movie -- a good choice by Eric!
Tuesday:
-Skipped two classes in the morning but went to the other two, then spent the afternoon driving around to all the house viewings we had scheduled. We saw the Mercantile Lofts downtown, which are really nice, unlike anything else I've seen in Louisville; a set of new, perfectly-sized single-family homes off of Frankfort Ave that were absolutely gorgeous; and a completely updated 100+-year-old house in the Frankfort Ave area. All were really different from each other, and all were really nice. All the looking was pretty much just for fun, since they were out of our price range and we're only living here for two more years anyway. Oh well.
-A late lunch / early dinner at Grape Leaf, a Mediterranean restaurant on Frankfort Ave. Always a good choice.

It was a good weekend, but really packed full of activities and exhausting. After my mom and sister left last night, I couldn't do much more than crash in front of the TV, and I slept in late this morning. I only have class from 3-5 today, which is nice, but I just took stock of where I stand with my schoolwork and I'm in trouble. I didn't get much studying done this weekend, and I've already wasted most of today instead of taking advantage of my time off. I have two quizzes tomorrow, another Friday, and tests coming up really, really soon. January's starting to get out of control!

In the long-term, I'm also starting to worry. I need to register for boards but haven't gotten my spring loan disbursement yet. I need to figure out my board studying plan, but that obviously is a moot situation if I can't get past these quizzes and tests in the next couple of weeks. And I need to do my taxes and FAFSA so I can get money for next year. Plus we still have to figure out what to do for our June vacation. Ugh. That's what I get for taking a break this weekend!

~~~~~
Twelve Angry Men
Our third Broadway series show was last week, featuring Richard Thomas and George Wendt. The show was great, as we expected, and all of the actors gave great performances. The show was at the Palace Theatre, an absolutely gorgeous theater downtown, rather than at the Kentucky Center, where all of the musicals have been. It's always fun to see a show at the Palace because the interior has been decorated in a really elaborate Spanish Baroque style (according to the website) and it's so beautiful inside.


No comments: