I went to a friend's cookout last night, and we ended up at a dive bar in her neighborhood, the Old Hickory Inn. On the weekends they do karaoke, which is just what we were looking for -- it was actually a reprise of a similar party last year that went very well.
This is a totally local bar. It's known as being one of a couple of bars in town that refuses to abide by the smoking ban that went into effect last year. The place is FULL of smoke. But most of the karaoke-ers aren't that bad. Unlike us, the drunken medical students who invade to sing "Margaritaville" and Johnny Cash.
So then a local starts singing this song with an upbeat, country kick to it, and people are dancing all around, and it starts to get kind of funny because the word f*ck appears prominently so we all do a double-take. Well, most people keep dancing, she keeps singing, and I happen to keep watching the words up on the karaoke TV. And then I see this line:
Get off the stage you god damn gook
You know you piss me off
And then I did a double-take. Did she really just say that? So I pull a friend over and we keep watching. And sure enough, it's part of the chorus, so it comes up again and again. I can't believe what I am seeing or hearing.
So I came home and did a little research and it seems the song is, "The Rodeo Song," attributed variably to Chris LeDoux, David Allan Coe, and Gary Lee & Showdown. It appears, after some Googling, that Chris LeDoux never sang it, and it was actually put out by Gary Lee & Showdown.
However, on all the lyrics sites I've looked at, all the versions by Gary Lee & Showdown use the word "goof," and it's only where it's attributed to Chris LeDoux that the other word is used. So I don't know what's up with that.
What I really, seriously, can't believe is that anyone would sing a song like that. What I wish is that I hadn't been so far away from the karaoke DJ, because I would have marched up there and caused a ruckus. And maybe it's a good thing I was so far back, but whatever.
SO UNF*CKING BELIEVABLE. And not that it has anything to do with Kentucky per se, but it really doesn't help Kentucky's cause right now, either.
Sunday, May 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I looked up the song - it's bad enough the way it's written, but it sounds like this idiot is, well, just a big enough dope to want to advertise it further.
Post a Comment