You pee at 5 am at the start of your day, then don't need to go again until 10 pm.
Not that I had to pee and had to hold it yesterday -- which has happened before during long surgeries -- but that I didn't have even the slightest urge.
Despite a cup of coffee and a cup of water in the morning, 2-3 cups of Coke at lunch, and another 1-2 cups of water in the afternoon. And 2 migraine pills that had caffeine in them. It wasn't until I was having another Coke with dinner around 9:30 that the urge kind of sort of even appeared. It's pretty impressive that my dehydration was so great that it overcame the diuretic effect of all that caffeine.
The funny thing? If I were a patient and I hadn't voided all day, people would be running around ordering fluid boluses left and right. Have to maintain a urine output of 0.5 cc/kg/hr or else!
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i've frequently notice that i've been oliguria - even anuirc - while working and thought to myself, "if i were a patient i'd have a renal consult by now."
you can always tell by the need for lip balm...
When I have this situation, I know the heat is up too high in my classroom - even with drinking water and tea, I'm sweating it all out!
I concur with the lip balm comment!
Post a Comment