Can't forget my rant for the week: My ISP, which is my cable company, apparently revamped its service this past week, and I am no longer able to use their smtp server to send mail from my non-cable-company email addresses using Outlook. I know, Outlook is not the mail client of choice for many people, but it serves my purposes because I have 4 different email addresses, and up until last Wednesday, I was able to work with all 4 of them at once in Outlook. ("Four?" you might ask. "That's an awful lot of email addresses!" Well, one is a total spam account for sweepstakes entries, etc, one is for pseudo-spam -- it was actually my old real address after graduating college, but then google came out with gmail, so now my real address is with gmail, and my school account. Note that I do not use my cable company email address. I think those things are really dumb, and very not-take-with-you-able if you switch providers.) So anyway, I can no longer send via the cable company smtp server. Instead, I was able to set things up to send through the google smtp server, which isn't too bad, but it makes my school email "look" like it's coming from my google account, which I don't want to do, because I'd like to keep school and life separate from each other (haha).
According to Insight's website, phone service, and a newspaper article, they have been experiencing massive Internet problems as they go through a gigantic server upgrade. Thousands of customers have lost their Internet access for days at a time, according to complaints, and thankfully I have not been one of them. In any case, I'm waiting until next week, when I have time to deal with it, to contact them and confirm that my email problem is indeed a function of them changing their server policies, and not an unintended glitch due to their server upgrades. If it's the former, I think I'm going to just start using google's and school's websites to access my email, even though I hate the school website format. Also next week, I am going to go on a rampage against Borders, because even though all of 4th Street has free wireless provided by the city, Borders, which sits on the corner of 4th and Liberty, blocks the free access and tries to make you pay for its TMobile WiFi. That's bullshit if I ever heard it, and now Borders is going to hear it. I've never heard of something so ridiculous.
No more rants from me; I need to go learn steroid hormone synthesis.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment