Whew!
It's 1.5 weeks post-test, and I'm completely behind again. Last week I took off to recuperate, and then this past weekend I took a trip east to hang out with my friends, and now all of a sudden I have a ton of stuff to learn ASAP and I'm exhausted all over again. Recurring theme for 2006-2007: can't wait until third year begins so this vicious cycle is broken.
Like I said, I went east this weekend, and I had a great time with my friends. We went to a winery in southeastern PA, stayed overnight in Wilmington, DE, and picked apples at an orchard in Media, PA. The only funny thing about the whole trip was that Eric also flew east for the weekend, to his parents' house in Chester Co., PA. Both of our flights left Friday evening at the same time; mine direct to BWI, his to Reagan National for a layover before heading to Philly. On Saturday when we were at the winery, we were actually IN Chester County, less than 30 minutes from his house and from my old place in Philly. When my friend had booked our hotel on Priceline, the next closest hotel they offered her was the Philadelphia airport hotel. Everything about it was so funny -- I flew to Baltimore to drive to the Philly area, and Eric flew to Philly, and we were so close to each other the entire weekend but didn't see each other once.
Apple picking resulted in us bringing home a full bushel of apples -- if you picked a 1/2 bushel, they gave you a 1/2 bushel of red delicious free, so we got roughly 52 pounds of apples for $21, which is quite the bargain. But it meant I had to carry a 15-lb open-top box of apples onto the plane, which elicited many odd looks, from the check-in counter all the way to the plane. It's not as though I can't buy apples in Kentucky, you know? Anyway, last night I made apple-cinnamon muffins, an apple coffee cake, and regular apple cake. I brought a bunch of it all to school today to share, but we still have a significant amount left, and I for once don't intend to eat it all myself. Plus we still have about 10 pounds of apples left. Sheesh.
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What in god's name do you do with 52 pounds of apples? How many apples is that, btw? Can you can them and freeze them?
The University of Illinois says that a bushel of apples weighs about 42 pounds, but the lady at the orchard told me a half-bushel weighed about 26 pounds... regardless, I only ended up with a third of a bushel, about 15-17 pounds or so, since we split it three ways. I didn't count, but I think I had about 25-30 apples originally -- some very large and some small.
UofIll also says that a bushel of apples will yield 20-24 quarts of applesauce, and 36 apples are needed for a gallon of apple cider.
I'm going to stick with the baking. The apple coffee cake turned out quite well. I also like chopped apples in my tuna fish. If I ever go to the grocery store this week, I might buy some pork and make pork with apples and onions. I could probably mash them and freeze them, but then what would I do with frozen, mashed apples? (All my recipes are from the Betty Crocker cookbook, btw.)
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/apples/facts.html
Post a Comment