Thursday, March 22, 2007

When all else fails, write about food

Since there are very few groceries in the apartment, we've eaten out a bit this week.

Monday we intended to try Luigi's, a downtown pizza place that supposedly has NY-style slices, but it, like everything else downtown, closes at 5 pm. Then we drove over to Baxter Station, only to find it closed on Mondays, as was Le Gallo Rosso. So we ended up at Molly Malone's where I had a big bowl of potato-and-leek soup and steamed mussels in a creamy beer broth. Yum! Eric had the requisite shepherd's pie -- with an unusual (for him) side of broccoli.

Tuesday I had a craving for a burger, so we walked over to the recently renovated BBC on 4th Street. I'm so glad they renovated -- it's really nice to have a brewery a block away, but in its previous incarnation I pretty much refused to go there because the food was so uninspiring and bad. I've been there twice since the revamp now, and there are so many things on the menu I want to try. It's still a pretty standard bar menu, but I can have faith knowing that everything will be prepared well. Last time I had a salad with sesame-seared tuna slices and a ginger vinaigrette. It was pretty good, but the dressing wasn't my favorite. On this visit I had a burger topped with pepper jack cheese, accompanied by a nice glass of raspberry meade. Yum!

Yesterday after a run through Cherokee Park (beautiful weather is back!!) I managed to find enough things in the refrigerator and freezer to make chicken quesadillas. With a generous sprinkle of cilantro, they were quite delicious, if I do say so myself. Tonight Eric has a late meeting so he's on his own, and I'm attending an event with a free dinner. Tomorrow is my last shift recruiting study patients at the children's hospital, so we'll both be on our own for dinner again.

I don't think I've ever talked about how many free meals I eat at school. On an average week, I get two or three free lunches from various meetings, and my record is a full five free lunches in one week. This week I've had two lunches and free ice cream, and tonight I'm attending an event at the Speed Art Museum that includes a free dinner. And, I'm proud to say, none of my food comes from drug reps!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After having helped with a number of weddings over the past few years, I have amassed a pretty good skill set of wedding-related services. If you need pew bows, Hershey kiss roses, or minor flower arrangements, just ask! I am also now the proud owner of a set of adult Mad Libs and a penis-shaped ice cube tray, perfect for your next bachelorette party! I almost became the proud owner of penis-shaped cupcake trays, but I decided I didn't want to have that distinction after all...

No comments: