Monday, July 21, 2008

Studying

I suck at it, basically. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, over and over, in fact, but I'm a terrible studier. My No. 1 problem is food -- I get hungry when I study, so I need to study somewhere that I can eat.

I take my test NEXT FRIDAY, AUGUST 1, which is drawing very, very near. I don't really have time to be dealing with this studying inefficiency crap anymore.

So, new plan:
  • Study at home in the mornings (and acknowledge that "studying" in the morning can mean nothing more than catching up with Google Reader and email).
  • Eat lunch at home (or out, or wherever). This is key, because I get very annoyed at being somewhere like a library, all spread out and comfortable, and then having to pack everything up just to go find lunch at some place like Taco Bell, which will take all of 15 minutes, and then I come back to the library and someone has stolen my spot. AAAARGH.
  • After lunch, head over to the Pleasantville public library. Study (for real) for a good 5-6 hours. Hopefully be very productive so I stop feeling all down on myself for not studying, which really doesn't help motivate me to study. The library is nice enough, with free wifi that works (the Brigantine branch's wifi was being spotty and they couldn't help me figure it out, so it sucks I have to drive off the island, but whatever), and I have successfully had sodas and snacks there without attracting too much attention.
  • Go home whenever Eric gets done with work, and have a relaxing evening. I might have to ditch the relaxing evenings and add more study time this week, but it's so nice to take evening strolls on the beach and play cards, like this is actually a beach vacation!
The biggest problem with studying? My question bank program is online, which means I *need* my computer to study, which means I *need* to have internet access to do it, which therefore means I am way too tempted to waste more time on the internet instead of doing questions. Of course, even without the internet, I have managed to waste whole hours at Spider solitaire and Minesweeper.

I'm almost tempted to call it a lost cause.

Except I need to get into residency, dammit!

2 comments:

Antonia said...

you can do it! Just forgo vacation for a short 1.5 weeks and be done with stupid Step 1. And then life really gets better =). GOOD LUCK!!

Holly Cummings said...

Thanks for the cheering! But oh dear lord, if I were taking Step 1 again, I'd have to kill myself. Thank goodness it's Step 2!